Sales Guide


Neustadt with Baroque quarter and 'Alternative' quarter

Japanese Palace

Built in 1715 as the Dutch Palace, it was later (1727–36) extended for Augustus the Strong to create a Baroque palace with four wings in the modern chinoiserie style of the time. The eye-catching roofline taken from Japanese architecture gave the palace its name.
In the palace: exhibitions from the Senckenberg Natural History Collection and the Museum of Ethnology.
www.skd-dresden.de & www.senckenberg.de

Baroque quarter between Hauptstrasse and Königstrasse

Laid out in 1731 between the Japanese Palace and Albertplatz to plans by Pöppelmann as a collection of baroque town houses with open courtyards. Since 1990, these have been faithfully restored, and today the quarter boasts an attractive shopping street with upmarket boutiques, excellent restaurants and modern art galleries.


Built in 1732–39 to drawings by Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann and George Bährs. The church tower was constructed around 100 years later. In 1945, it was completely destroyed except the tower. Today, following reconstruction as The House of the Church, it is also used for events and conferences.

Craft-Art Passages

Craftspeople, potters, ceramic artists, basket weavers, metal designers and florists have set up shop in the baroque town houses on Hauptstraße. These invite you to window shop, buy and while away the hours. You will also find cafés and restaurants in the passageways and courtyards.


Neustadt Market Hall

Built in the boom years of the late nineteenth century (known in German as the Gründerzeit), this building, which is more than 100 years old, was faithfully restored in 2000 with wrought iron balustrades, iron staircases and original lamps. It is now an attractive shopping venue with plenty of choice.



The oldest building in Dresden. Built at the end of the 16th century in Renaissance style with four wings, it was used as the Elector’s hunting lodge, and from 1830 to 1877 as cavalry barracks. The building was
then demolished apart from the west wing which since 1913 has been used as exhibition space for the Museum of Saxon Folk Art.


Alternative Quarter

The unspoilt atmosphere of the quarter around Alaunstraße and Louisenstraße, built in the boom years of the late nineteenth century (known in German as the Gründerzeit), is the result of the combination of
renovated and old houses, narrow alleyways, the maze of backyards, shops ranging from elegant to flashy, countless pubs, restaurants and bars. It is ‘the’ place to meet.


Passageway through five interconnected themed courtyards between Görlitzer Straße 23/25 and Alaunstraße 70, with fantastic architecture, imaginative features, independent shops, design studios and inviting restaurants.


Jewish cemetery

Opened in 1751, it is the oldest Jewish cemetery in Saxony. It was closed in 1869 when the new Jewish cemetery in Johannstadt was opened. Guided tours by appointment at HATIKVA, the centre for
Jewish culture: Tel. +49 (0)351 8020489.

To top

Pfund`s Dairy

The ‘Most Beautiful Dairy Shop in the World’, with an entry in the Guinness Book of Records, is the shop belonging to the dairy founded in 1880 by the Pfund brothers. The walls, floor and shop counter are
covered with imaginatively designed tiles in the style of neo-Renaissance paintings from the art department of the Dresden ceramics factory Villeroy & Boch.



Situated on the Loschwitzer Hang with magnificent views and surrounded by extensive parkland.

Schloß Albrechtsberg: Built in 1851–54 in the neoclassical style for Prince Albrecht of Prussia. It has a ballroom and salons available for conferences and cultural exhibitions.

Lingnerschloss: Originally the residence of the Prince’s chamberlain, it later belonged to the industrialist Karl August Lingner, founder of the German Hygiene Museum.

Schloss Eckberg: Built in 1859–61 in the style of English Gothic Revival, the park and palace (today a hotel and restaurant) are examples of Late Dresden Romanticism.

To top

Hellerau Garden City

Hellerau Garden City, together with the Hellerau furniture workshops, was laid out in 1909 to plans by Richard Riemerschmid. It combines an architecturally sophisticated factory complex, which also met the
highest standards in working conditions, with a modern garden suburb. The cultural centre piece was the Festspielhaus designed by Heinrich Tessenow where, between 1912 and 1915, Europe’s cultural elite met every year. Following extensive refurbishment, the Festspielhaus is once again open for experimental performances of modern art, such as TonLagen, the Dresden festival of contemporary music and the CYNETart festival of computer-based art. In addition it is now home.


To top