Dresden

Sales Guide


AA+

Historic Old Town

Zwinger

The most important building of the late Baroque period in Germany,
constructed 1710–28 under the direction of architect Pöppelmann and
sculptor Permoser, originally an orangery and royal pageant grounds,
later exhibition halls; 1847–55 construction of the Semper Gallery.
At the Zwinger: Old Masters Picture Gallery, Porcelain Collection,
Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon

more


Frauenkirche

Built 1726–43 from the designs of George Bähr, the Frauenkirche is
considered the most important Protestant structure in all of Germany
and one of Europe’s most important cultural and structural monuments.
Destroyed in 1945, the church lay in ruins for decades as a solemn
memorial until reconstructed 1994–2005 using as many of the building’s
original stones as possible. Services and concerts are now held in the
magnificent Baroque interior spanning five gallery levels.

more


Neumarkt

Likely the best known square in Dresden’s inner city, Neumarkt has
been undergoing gradual reconstruction since 2005 to return it to its
former 18th-century Baroque glory. The historically-faithful reconstruction
of the square’s once famous buildings and facades in the narrow
lanes around the Frauenkirche draws countless visitors to stroll, shop
and dine in a historical atmosphere.

more


Semperoper

Erected 1838–41 by Gottfried Semper, rebuilt 1871–78 following a fire
under the direction of Semper’s son Manfred in the Italian Neo-Renais -
sance style. Restored true to the original after its 1945 destruction, the
Semper Opera House reopened in 1985 as the established venue of
the Saxon State Opera and the Saxon State Orchestra.

more


Stallhof

Surrounded by the Royal Palace complex, the Johanneum (former royal
stables) and the Long Arcade with its 22 richly adorned Tuscan columns.
Used as an arena for equestrian tournaments in the 16th century, the
Stallhof is considered the world’s oldest showgrounds and is today
host to cultural events and a medieval Christmas market in December.

more


Procession of the Princes

101-meter long mural made from 25,000 Meißen porcelain tiles
depicting the rulers of the House of Wettin as a procession of riders.

more

Brühl’s Terrace

Also called “The Balcony of Europe” for its fantastic views, laid out
1739–48 along the city’s ramparts as the private gardens of Count Brühl.
The wide staircase was built in 1814 and the gardens were then opened
to the public. Working in the vaults underneath the terraces, Johann
Friedrich Böttger produced the first European hard porcelain in 1708.

more

Church of the Holy Cross

Constructed 1765–92 in the late Baroque/early Classicism style on the
same site as three previous buildings. Now the largest church and
concert hall in the city, this place of worship is home to the Dresden
Boys Choir. Vespers performed Saturdays 6 pm (5 pm in the winter) by
the Boys Choir or a guest ensemble.

more


Cathedral

Built by Chiaveri 1738–54 as a royal Catholic church in the Baroque
style, the largest church in all of Saxon; since 1980, a cathedral of the
Dresden-Meißen diocese. Priceless interior furnishings include the
Rococo pulpit by Permoser, the altarpiece painted by Mengs and a Silbermann
organ. Family members from the House of Wettin are interred
in the cathedral’s crypt whilst the heart of Augustus the Strong is
preserved in a special vessel.

more


Academy of Arts with exhibition hall

Built 1891–94 in the Neo-Renaissance style on Brühl’s Terrace, the
academy’s prominent large glass dome topped by bronze angel is now
home to the College of Fine Arts. The school’s art gallery features
changing exhibitions of modern art and many other works of art.

more


Albertinum

Built 1884–87 atop the foundation walls of the former armoury as a public
museum and archive. Restored after the great flood of 2002, a spectacular
flood-proof elevated structure now hovers impressively over
the inner courtyard. Inside: New Masters Gallery, Sculpture Collection.

more

New Synagogue

Destroyed in 1938, the New Synagogue was rebuilt in 2001 on the site
of Semper’s original synagogue. The cube-shaped structure progressively
arches to the east, the direction of prayer, whilst the golden Star
of David over the entrance is the sole surviving piece of Semper’s
original synagogue. Tours by appointment: Tel. +49 (0)351 6560710

more

Yenidze

Constructed in 1907 in the Neo-Oriental style as a tobacco factory
with an elaborate coloured glass dome, the Yenidze today provides
office space, restaurants and magical readings of fairy tales under its
glass dome.

more